Friday 6 January 2012

A Work In Progress

A welcome to the New Year and welcome to my new blog, about photography and the creative process. The main goal of the blog is to explore  whats helps and what hinders our creative potential. Not, in some abstract or impersonal sense, but YOUR creativity and MY creativity. We all have creative abilities, at least as potential for our hobby or profession of photography, painting or any other of the visual arts.  Without the creative spark we can experience apathy, frustration or disappointment. Indeed the creative energy waxes and wanes or sometimes seems to desert us entirely, occasionally for explainable reasons, but at other times it can be all a bit of a mystery - I know. My first post is a summary of my own personal journey and I hope you find it an interesting read and are able to identify with some of my experiences in and out of the creative process.

It has taken about fifty years to come to this point. At least that is how far back along my timeline that I can date my interest in photography. At about 11years old I won a school photo competition. I remember that the camera was a Kodak Brownie 127 - definitely a point and shoot. And that is basically what I did,
 point, shoot and hope for the best. But even at that age I like to think that I was formulating a sense of what made a good composition. My photography bloomed and on leaving school I worked for a commercial photographer in London, first as an errand boy, then in print finishing, and finally to the darkroom. I also continued photography as a hobby and rigged up a darkroom at home in the loftspace. It was far from ideal - near freezing in winter, baking in summer, but for black and white printing it was ok and I managed. In those conditions colour was a step too far unless you were looking for uncontrolled bizarre cross processing type effects ( I was not- although it may have been quite acceptable as the hippy generation which was then in full swing).

Yes it was the dawn of flower power, the swinging sixties and the head banging seventies, although I never really grew my hair long enough or wore the beads. However I did take an interest in the alternative psychologies, holistic therapies and encounter groups that were also popular during this period as part of the counter culture and "doing your own thing". There was a focus on unleashing "creative potential" but somehow I never made connections between that and my photography at the time.

In fact my interest in psychology was taking me in another direction and in my mid- twenties I began training as a psychiatric nurse. This involved a change of address and the loss of my darkroom. I was not to have my own darkroom again mainly due to lack of space and other priorities. My amateur photgraphy continued, on and off over the next few decades. I had graduated to using various slr's - I think my first was the Russian Zenit -E, not great but at least I became proficient in using manual exposure and focusing. However I had no control over the output. Since I was at least proficient in darkroom skills and knew what a good print looked like I was usually disappointed when the results came back from the lab. I did not always have the spare cash so I often relied on the high street drugstore (oh dear!) although you could not always rely on the extra quality that you paid for from "professional" labs either. So my photography got rather stuck in a cycle of initial enthusiasm and inspiration followed by inevitable disappointment. Unsurpringly there were many fallow years during these decades when I simply did not "do photography" at all and I switched to less frustrating interests. The lesson from this period is that my creative potential was there but i did not always have the technical means to express it, thus leading to disappointment and frustration -or, so I thought
And then in the 90's came the digital age - I was already an early adopter of computers ( a Sinclair Spectrum was the first I think) so I could see the potential. To regain control of my output, through a digital darkroom on my computer and move beyond the typical 7x5 Boots prints I was getting at the time was very tempting. My consumption of photography magazines increased I started getting distinctly "geeky" about cameras again, reading all the test reports available. I was not initially convinced on quality issues but once camera sensors started moving past 6mp I was ready to jump.

So I now have my digital cameras( currently a Panasonic G2 and GH2) and digital darkroom (Lightroom 3 and Elements) - I have the technology and I have the skillset -the decades of experience should have paid off - there are no barriers and no end to my creativity in terms of producing brilliant images. Right? er, well Wrong! My creativity can still turn on and off like a light switch. And I have no excuses or processing lab to blame for my failure to have many images to match some of the brilliant images that I see daily on Google+. Oh, well, there was the time of my computer crash a couple of years back when I lost many images on my hard drive.But that is another story and not an excuse. Another lesson painfully learned -it only reinforces the mantra "backup, backup, and backup again to an external drive".

I know when the light switch is on -when I am "in the zone" so to speak. I am standing there and the scene is ready to be taken. I may have passed this way before when the light switch was off with my "unseeing" eye and not noticed anything special. But now I am "in the zone"and am absorbed by the scene. The lighting is right, I "see" the composition and all its elements, the camera has become an extension of my hand - I do not have to fumble about with the settings, everything is prepared and I shoot. I may well change my position a litlle, try a differant angle, adjust the focal length, all this is instinctive,done without thinking, a reflex act, an "in the moment" action. I will know when to move on, perhaps to a scene nearby that I had surveyed earlier.

This "in the moment" activity may in fact last many minutes or indeed a few hours (on a good day) - though whilst in this experience it feels as no time has passed at all. I know when the time has passed though, usually some distracting thoughts enter my head, or belly starts giving me messages -"I want food", etc. etc. I certainly know when I am not "in the zone" I have difficulty really "seeing" the scene, to the extent the camera may not come out of the bag, I am unsure of the composition or what to do to take it beyond a normal decent snapshot, I may fumble about indecisively with the camera settings. I may settle for the snapshot, or just not bother. When at some point later -perhaps weeks later - I am viewing the images in Lightroom -I can usually tell during what time frames I was in the zone and when I was most definitely not. Usually the images are technically ok but when I am not "in there" my self assessment vary from average, mediocre to "why on earth did I take that from that position?". Images taken in the zone have a better artistically creative look and a higher hit rate

So now that I have set the scene I hopefully have given an indication of what this blog is about. I will leave most of the techie/geeky stuff to those bloggers/web sites out there already well established and doing a far better job than I ever could. Where I do give space it will mainly be recommending sites that I have found informative and useful. Likewise with techniques. For example, I think Lightroom 3 is great, and for me it has certainly reduced technically any restraints or barriers to my digital output - I could certainly blog about Lightroom. But there already great Lightroom resources out there which I might also refer to from time to time. However I have yet to discover many sites / blogs that major on aspects of Photography and Creativity. Perhaps they will emerge when I start blogging and researching more, and this can be a niche blog that brings all these aspects together.

As my blog already suggests I am no expert, and make no claim to be on any aspect of photography or creativity and am still trying to learn when it comes to aspects of my own creativity and its barriers. That said, I do have a combined interest of photography and humanistic psychology (of which more in future posts). I would like to make this blog as interactive as possible, by inviting both comments critique and guest posts. Much of what can be said and learned about in relation to photography and creativity would also apply to the other visual arts, painting, drawing, sculpture, crafts etc. so I would be keen to hear from you if you have this background too. I will concentrate on photography as this is my experience and background. If you have reached this far thanks for reading and please start commenting
P.S Initially I will make my main post on a weekly basis with perhaps some shorter posts inbetween as well as responding to comments as needed. As far as blogging goes I am an absolute newbie so I welcome feedback on that too, anything from the look and layout of the blog to the content. I am looking upon this as something of an experiment, nothing is fixed in stone, it is a work in progress, and can be changed where feedback suggests it needs to be

- Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment